Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A New Bedtime Routine

Since Mason was born, I've rocked him to sleep every night. I know some people may frown upon this, but it was my special time with my baby boy. I've been meaning to start putting him in his bed and letting him go to sleep on his own for the past few months, but just didn't do it. Well, since there is a little one on the way, this pushed me to finally start letting Mason be a big boy. He goes to sleep on his own at daycare with no problem, so he's had some experience. The past 3 nights I've taken Mason to his room, lifted him up and put him in his bed. Of course he starts crying. It breaks my heart! I hand him his Mickey Mouse, he wraps his arm around him and falls to the mattress. I cover him up, while he continues to cry. I say, "I love you Mason!" and walk out of the room. I also plug up his fish lamp. He continues to cry for 3-5 minutes and then it's QUIET. I just hope we stick to it and it gets easier for him. I have missed holding him in my arms as he drifts off to sleepy land, but I know this will pay off as he gets older and when his little brother/sister gets here. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

2 comments:

ann marie said...

You are a good Mom, Brandy ... it is evident in how wonderful Mason is. You and Phil are doing a fabulous job! There will times along the way when you have to make hard decisions for his sake but I'm convinced you will always do the right thing for him. Keep up the good work, Momma! XO

Brandie said...

Ann, thank you for the kind words. I know the new routine will pay off in the long run, for Mason and us. Thank you for the encourgement!